Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Well, there you have it...

This morning was a rather LONG and drawn out morning... we were up early and couldn't get back to sleep, we were trying to keep busy as we anxiously awaited seeing you... we arrived at the doctor's office 15 minutes in advance (as we were told), only to discover my doctor was with another patient having an emergency C-section. We waited a very LONG one hour and 15 minutes for her to arrive! During that time I made some observations:

1) The picture on the ceiling in the ultrasound room is the same one that was there when I was pregnant with your big sister 6 years ago.
2) Standing on a scale causes me to break out in a sweat, even when I know my weight is OK.
3) Paper gowns are not fun. Ever.

Your daddy and I talked a lot. About babies, about plans after you arrive, about what we'll do differently, etc. It was nice to have that uninterrupted time, honestly.

And then finally, the doctor arrived! And after a hello and a brief sentence or two, there you were on the screen in front of us! We got to see you AND to hear your heart beating. Your daddy kissed me on the forehead and had tears in his eyes. It was such a great moment.

You are already competing with your sister, it seems--she was always a little on the small size when it came to measurements. You, however, are a little on the big side. You are measuring 5 days ahead! Daddy was so cute, he kept asking the doctor, "Is that OK? It doesn't mean problems? Is it normal?"

For me, I take it as a good sign... it tells me that my restricted diet (which I've been worried might affect you) isn't hurting you one bit! I also gained some weight, and that (to me) is a positive sign.

I went to work right after... and wound up being an hour later than planned. So I wound up telling my "big boss" about your coming arrival. She is excited, and congratulated me--our department has been VERY busy this year, with 2 weddings and 3 babies (well, 2--including you--have yet to be born)! I had planned to wait to tell her, but I just felt so guilty for coming in so late. Of course it will still be a little bit longer before I tell my supervisor and everyone else.

And now we are planning a "Big Sister Day" for your big sister. She doesn't quite know that, though--we're going to do whatever she wants, all day on the 23rd, and at the end of the day we'll give her some big sister gifts and tell her about you. That's what I'm looking forward to next!

I love you so much already, Dois. I'm sure you know that, as I tell you constantly. But I just want to say it every time I think it.

No comments:

Post a Comment